The SEO world post Panda and Penguin has been difficult leaving many an SEO pretty angry, stressed and confused. I doubt that there are any of you out there who have not had any SEO problems to deal with be it with current or new clients looking to fix algorithm related issues. Maybe you’ve had issues redefining your service or how you quantify success?
Today, dear reader, I’m going to attempt to warm a few hearts with some thoughts on why things are good/not so bad/as bad as they could be 🙂
- Learning to adapt can be fun – Remember what it was like learning SEO? The excitement of the industry and the want to test out ideas? This doesn’t mean you have to jump on bandwagon’s or buzzwords but if you were doing things ‘the wrong way’ it gives you a chance to learn something different.
- Test, test, test and get ahead the competition – Everyone can see that the search results are in a state of flux with some people waiting to see where the chips will fall before carrying on work. Don’t sit around and wait. Test ideas and theories on your own sites to make sure that you are ahead of the competition.
- Not everyone loses – If you really know your onions this is an opportunity to win new business/get a new job. However if like me you don’t just fake it til you make it!
- It’s only a job – To most within our little SEO bubble the world of search is the be all and end all. This is true whether you are working for an agency, in house or for yourself. Without taking the piss if the market has got too unfair, competitive or difficult then maybe it’s time to consider a new career and lower the stress levels? O.k so it’s not a reason to be cheerful about working in SEO but you might live a little longer…
- Think about what it will be like in 12 months time – You are never going to know what is going to happen within the next month/quarter/year with Google but you can try and pre-empt what might happen by keeping your ear to the ground and questioning everything that you do for your website/client. The next time Google releases an update/massacre then you will be waving to your competitors as you pass them by.
If any of you guys have reasons to be cheerful (part 3…) then please feel free to add them below 😀
Other reasons to be cheerful:
- Nick Clegg has apologised we can all get closure now and be cheerful about that.
- The Pot noodle 5 is out thats something to be cheerful about. the lightest pot noodle ever, its larger and the noodles take slightly less time to cook.
- I won 3 pounds last night on a gambit ( im rich bitch!) Might have a subway for dinner!