Top 10 Signs You Are A SEO Diva
This awesome guest post was written by the Online Marketing Owl. SEO webslinger. Content Creation Caped Crusader. Social Media Watchman. PPC Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu. SEOmozer - Andrew McGarry - Find out more about him here (look natural anchor text!)
In an industry full of self-proclaimed experts and no proper certification, SEO sometimes feels like a biggus dickus competition.
Some days you’d be forgiven for thinking SEOs spend all their time online trying to prove to everyone that they actually know what they’re on about.
The idea that you’ve been doing something for ages so therefore you must be good at it, would mean that Jim Davidson is funnier than Frankie Boyle, and Bill O’Reilly is a superior journalist to Jon Stewart. This leads us to today’s handy guide…
TOP 10 SIGNS YOU ARE A SEO DIVA
10. Writing super annoying ‘Top 10’ articles as linkbait in the vain hope that the SEO industry will notice your thought leader status.
9. Whenever someone votes your SEOmoz comment with a ‘thumbs down’, you have an emotional response to it which makes Charles Manson look like a rational human being.
8. Checking Google Search blog posts daily for opportunities to tweet “I’ve been saying that all along”, which would have been number seven in CNN’s 6 most annoying things kids say.
7. Your online avatar has been created to convey how clever, creative and outspoken you are. Especially as you’ve never forgiven your parents for THAT lunchbox they made you bring to school.
6. The idea of ever saying, “I don’t know about that aspect of SEO” would be as desirable as walking naked through town on a Saturday while holding up a sign that says your favourite band is Nickleback.
5. You have your own WordPress plugin which you believe will carry on your legacy after you’re gone.
4. In team meetings you roll your eyes and exhale loudly whenever a developer says that doing a particular thing would be good for SEO. Like he could possibly grasp what has taken decades to learn.
3. If your partner looked at someone for too long you’d get jealous. But not as jealous as you get when you see other SEOs on Twitter chatting to Matt Cutts, Duane Forrester, or even Rand Fishkin. I mean c’mon, look at how many followers I have!
2. Believing your job title as manager / director / overlord / insights guru reflects your status and worth as a human being and would crush your soul if you ever lost it.
And the number one sign you are a SEO Diva is that you are a man. The opposite sex is far too evolved to waste time with online posturing and chest beating. Besides, as far as they’re concerned, while you’re being a diva you won’t notice them stealing your clients.
***Bonus #11!*** Writing holier than thou comments on (non)ranking weight of factor X, regurgitating what you read elsewhere with zero proof.